Historical Complex

The Basilica of S. Maria Maggiore in Pietrasanta contains millennia of Neapolitan history. Built on the remains of the Greek temple of Diana, it was transformed into a Christian basilica by Pomponius in 525 AD and designed to be the first sanctuary dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

The site, reconstructed in 1656 by Cosimo Fanzago, holds the traces of the evolution of Naples: the bell tower, the small Pontano temple, and the one of the Santissimo Salvatore, together with the Basilica, tell the story of this unparalleled Neapolitan monument.

BASILICA
BELL TOWER

CHAPELS
CRYPT AND UNDERGROUND

NEWS

#Polopietrasanta

follow Polo Pietrasanta on social networks

 

Association Pietrasanta
Polo Culturale ONLUS

The Pietrasanta association was founded in 2011, by Raffaele Iovine, the current president, and became a non-profit organization (ONLUS) in 2018. The goal of the association is to make Pietrasanta the focal point of the great tourist flow, which is increasingly attracted to the ancient times of Naples, between myth and traditions.

PARTNERS

English